Looking for a Reef Experience you’ll enjoy just as much as the kids will?
Look no further! Our family day trip package has something for everyone…
Reef Experience’s family day trip package is a reef tour packed with family-friendly activities – plus the chance for Mum and Dad to relax! From Grandparents to toddlers, there’s Great Barrier Reef fun to be had by all.
We will make your family feel comfortable!
With cool, spacious indoor areas and a huge sundeck complete with padded lounge chairs and a view to die for, you can relax and enjoy the journey in comfort.
Snorkel and scuba diving platforms are at water level and provide easy access when you want to go for a swim.
Food options are family-friendly so there’s always something for children to munch, and fruit is served morning and afternoon.
Parents can enjoy a well earned complimentary glass of wine on the way home while children are served fruit punch.
Marine Biology presentation
The Marine Biology talk on the journey to the Great Barrier Reef keeps the kids entertained and teaches them about the amazing marine life they’ll see at the Great Barrier Reef.
Snorkelling is an easy activity for all the family to enjoy. We visit shallow snorkelling lagoon areas bursting with colourful tropical fish, turtles and coral.
Children’s life vests and snorkelling noodles are available and there are always friendly, experienced crew members ready to give in-water assistance.
Glass Bottom Boat Ride
The young and the elderly alike all love a good glass-bottom boat tour! Stay dry and take a commentated glass boat tour with Captain Hack, or be the family photographer and watch everyone else play in the water from the viewing bench on the sun deck.
Kids over 12 and adults can try scuba diving in a shallow, safe and easy environment with one of our highly qualified scuba diving instructors.
Fly weightlessly around the reef like superman and see the beautiful marine life. Your kids’ confidence in the water will grow after this amazing experience.
Marine Biology snorkelling tour
Go for an educational and interactive guided snorkel tour around the Reef. Our experienced Marine Biologist will show and tell about the Reef all the animals you will see.
Kids can get up close and personal with sea cumbers, find hidden sea stars and watch a giant clamshell close its jaws.
(Note: optional extra)
Our family day tour in an experience your whole family will remember for a long time!
Family Day Tour
Great Barrier Reef Tours, Reef Experience
We accept Visa Card or Mastercard, or EWay. All pricing is in AUD.
A minimum of 48 hours’ notice is required to re-schedule, alter a reservation, or make any amendments to prepaid tour components, such as equipment hire, guided tours, or course fees.
Cancellation fees are as follows:
20% cancellation fee 30 days or more prior to departure
50% cancellation fee if within 30 days prior to departure
100% cancellation fee within 14 days prior to departure
There will be no refund of any part of your tour costs should you fail to arrive at a scheduled tour departure time. Tour departures may not be delayed due to passenger circumstances - including events beyond your control, medical problems, airline delays, weather etc.
All passengers are strongly advised to purchase comprehensive travel insurance that includes trip cancellation insurance, evacuation and medical cover. Please read the wording of your insurance policy carefully and ensure it covers you for all potential activities. No refund or compensation will be issued for unused equipment, prepaid/pre-booked courses and/or Scuba dives, or guides if you cannot complete the entire tour. Please see Scuba Diving – Important Information below.
Please refer to Trade Practices Act 1974.
Terms And Conditions
This website acts as a booking agent only for the tours advertised herein. Although we endeavor to provide accurate information, we are not liable for inaccurate information concerning services.
Check-in: If you are Making your own way (no return transfers booked), please check-in and board at 7.30 am. Reef Experience is located on A Finger, at Cairns Marlin Marina.
Terms and Conditions:
Please call to confirm your trip 48 hours in advance at +61 7 4037 2700.
- No alcohol may be consumed before in-water activities.
- Children’s prices are from 4 to 11 years of age. If booking as a certified diver, adult rates apply.
- Reef levies are included in the cost.
- Locations, vessels and itineraries are subject to change without notice due to unforeseen circumstances, but with full consideration of your safety and enjoyment. We are not liable for changes to tours, pricing or itineraries, all of which are subject to change without notice. We accept no liability for any loss or out-of-pocket costs incurred as a result of the cancellation or change in the itinerary, however caused (direct or indirect).
- The glass-bottom boat tour is weather-dependent, and if canceled for safety reasons or any other unforeseen circumstances, no refunds will be issued, prioritizing passenger safety.
- Neither this site nor any associated company or agent advertised through this site is responsible for your costs or losses resulting from alterations, cancellations, any loss, any damage, delays, deaths or personal injury.
- All passengers are strongly advised to purchase Comprehensive Travel Insurance that covers personal injury and the events, including but not limited to your cancellation for any reason and the cancellation or alteration to the scheduled itinerary for reasons involving weather or passenger, crew or vessel safety. Please read your insurance policy's wording carefully and ensure it covers you for all potential activities. Please be aware that scuba diving and other in-water activities are not covered by all travel insurance companies. In a medical emergency, any evacuation, vessel relocation, medical or other expenses are the financial responsibility of that passenger.
- The passenger acknowledges and consents to Reef Encounter taking photographs or video recordings during the course of this activity / tour. The passenger acknowledges and consents to Reef Encounter receiving and using images of the passenger from third parties and using these images for marketing and promoting its services.
- Please inform us of any special requirements 48 hours before your travel date, such as dietary requirements, allergies, mobility and disability issues. This can be done in the ‘Booking Message’ section of your online reservation or by contacting our friendly reservations team.
Scuba Diving – Important Information:
- All Certified Divers must present a valid Certification Card. Failure to present a Certification Card may result in the customer being unable to participate in scuba diving. They can enjoy snorkelling activities instead. No refunds would be offered.
- Minimum age for Introductory Diving is 12 years old. Minimum age for certified diving and Open Water Course is 10 years old. All junior divers must either be accompanied by a certified parent or guardian or must dive with a dive professional at an additional charge. If the diver is under the age of 18 years, parental or guardian consent is required for that diver to undertake a dive. The parent or guardian should sign the medical declaration as witness.
- Upon arriving at our vessel and before commencing any dive activities, all passengers must complete our liability forms. All information provided must be strictly accurate. If during the tour, it becomes apparent that a form has been incorrectly completed, either by omission or false statement, we reserve the right to prevent any customer from undertaking any scuba diving or snorkelling activities while on board our vessel. Any decision made in this regard will be at the absolute discretion of the Dive Crew aboard the vessel.
- The dangers and risks associated with scuba diving in an open ocean environment under variable conditions apply to our tours. We reserve the right to prevent any customer from participating in scuba diving if we determine that they are physically or medically unsuitable to do so or if it is in the best interests of our crew or other scuba divers. Our crew are trained professionals, and it is up to their sole discretion who they take diving and/or snorkelling. No refunds would apply.
- Please remember you must allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying.
Medical Conditions & Medications:
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world but also the safest scuba diving record. We are regulated by the Queensland Government Code of Practice and comply with all rules including medical as is the law.
- All passengers participating in any Scuba activities must complete a Medical Questionnaire. If you are unsure of a particular medical condition or medication, please complete our ‘CAN I GO DIVING’ questionnaire on our website. If you’ve answered yes to any questions or take any prescribed medication, you will need further medical clearance. This must be arranged prior
to your day of departure.
- Medication: DO NOT presume that by taking medication is controlling your medical conditions, and you should be fine to scuba dive, as it is the medication that can be the problem when scuba diving. Particularly prescribed medication may require a medical clearance.
- The medical certification should be provided in English, preferably by a medical practitioner with experience in diving medicine, within 90 days prior to the scuba dive. The certificate must state that the person is medically fit to dive.
- No refunds on uncompleted dives due to medical conditions and/or prescribed medications or change of mind.
If you do have any pre-existing/existing medical conditions or are taking any medication whatsoever and are not sure whether you will be deemed medically fit to Scuba Dive, please get in touch with our Office at 07 4037 2700 or email us at [email protected], we will be only too happy to help you if we can. Alternatively, the best thing to do is to consult your own Doctor for a medical clearance to scuba dive.
Public Holidays Surcharge
➢ A Surcharge of $100 per person applies to 25 December 2023 & 2024 – Christmas Day
➢ A Surcharge of $50 per person applies to all other Queensland public holidays listed:
- 26 December 2023 – Boxing Day
- 01 January 2024 – New Year’s Day
- 26 January 2024 – Australia Day
- 29, 30 & 31 March and 01 April 2024 – Easter
- 25 April 2024 – Anzac Day
- 06 May 2024 – Labour Day
- 19 July 2024 – Cairns Annual Show
- 07 October 2024 – King’s Birthday
- 26 December 2024 – Boxing Day
- 01 January 2025 – New Year’s Day